Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Mr. Arntzen is a geologist who supports research projects evaluating and monitoring aquatic habitat, groundwater/surface water interaction, and water quality within large river systems. Mr. Arntzen completed a graduate thesis evaluating the hydrogeology and water quality of the groundwater/surface-water mixing zone within the Hanford Reach of the Columbia River between 1997 and 2002. Since 2002, Mr. Arntzen has conducted research evaluating how physicochemical properties of the hyporheic zone affect habitat quality. His work includes evaluations of water quality, contaminant transport, and physical habitat quality, all with an emphasis on the impact to aquatic organisms that are dependent on the hyporheic zone. He has worked in areas including the Hanford Reach of the Columbia River, the Columbia River Gorge, the Snake River, and the Grayâ€™s River watershed.
- Groundwater/surfacewater interaction
- Habitat evaluation
- Water quality
Education and Credentials
- M.S., Geology, Portland State University, 2002.
- B.S., Geology, Eastern Washington University, 1996.
- Licensed geologist (Washington).
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Geophysical Union
- Geological Society of America
- American Fisheries Society
- Arntzen EV, BL Miller, AC O'Toole, SE Niehus, and MC Richmond. 2013. Evaluating greenhouse gas emissions from hydropower complexes on large rivers in Eastern Washington. PNNL-22297, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Vernon CR, EV Arntzen, MC Richmond, RA McManamay, TP Hanrahan, and CL Rakowski. 2013. GIS Framework for Large River Geomorphic Classification to Aid in the Evaluation of Flow-Ecology Relationships. PNNL-22296, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Weiland MA, CM Woodley, GR Ploskey, JS Hughes, JA Kim, Z Deng, T Fu, ES Fischer, JR Skalski, RL Townsend, JP Duncan, MJ Hennen, KA Wagner, EV Arntzen, BL Miller, AL Miracle, SA Zimmerman, IM Royer, F Khan, AW Cushing, DJ Etherington, TD Mitchell, T Elder, G Batton, GE Johnson, and TJ Carlson. 2013. Acoustic Telemetry Evaluation of Juvenile Salmonid Passage and Survival at John Day Dam, 2010. PNNL-22177, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Mueller RP, EV Arntzen, MA Nabelek, BL Miller, KJ Klett, and RA Harnish. 2012. "Laboratory testing of a modified electroshocking system designed for deepwater juvenile lamprey sampling ." Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 141(3):841-845. doi:10.1080/00028487.2012.675908
- Murray CJ, DR Geist, EV Arntzen, YJ Bott, and MA Nabelek. 2011. Development of a Conceptual Chum Salmon Emergence Model for Ives Island. PNNL-20035, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Arntzen EV. 2009. Temperature and Water Depth Monitoring Within Chum Salmon Spawning Habitat Below Bonneville Dam -- Annual Report -- October 2007-September 2008 . PNNL-18561, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Arntzen EV, DR Geist, KJ Murray, J Vavrinec, III, EM Dawley, and DE Schwartz. 2009. "Influence of the Hyporheic Zone on Supersaturated Gas Exposure to Incubating Chum Salmon." North American Journal of Fisheries Management 29(6):1714-1727. doi:10.1577/M08-212.1
- Arntzen EV, KD Hand, KM Carter, DR Geist, KJ Murray, EM Dawley, VI Cullinan, RA Elston, and J Vavrinec, III. 2009. Total Dissolved Gas Effects on Incubating Chum Salmon Below Bonneville Dam. PNNL-18081, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Baldwin BR, AD Peacock, M Gan, CT Resch, EV Arntzen, AN Smithgall, S Pfiffner, BM Freifeld, DC White, and PE Long. 2009. "In-Well Sediment Incubators to Evaluate Microbial Community Stability and Dynamics following Bioimmobilization of Uranium." Remediation 19(4):73-89. doi:10.1002/rem.20218
- Williams KH, A Kemna, MJ Wilkins, JL Druhan, EV Arntzen, AL N'Guessan, PE Long, SS Hubbard, and JF Banfield. 2009. "Geophysical Monitoring of Coupled Microbial and Geochemical Processes During Stimulated Subsurface Bioremediation." Environmental Science & Technology 43(17):6717–6723.
- Fritz BG, RD Mackley, EV Arntzen, DP Mendoza, and GW Patton. 2008. Methods for Assessing the Relative Amounts of Groundwater Discharge into the Columbia River and Measurement of Columbia River Gradients at the Hanford Site’s 300 Area. PNNL-17836, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Arntzen EV, KD Hand, DR Geist, KJ Murray, J Panther, VI Cullinan, EM Dawley, and RA Elston. 2008. Effects of Total Dissolved Gas on Chum Salmon Fry Incubating in the Lower Columbia River . PNNL-17132, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Geist DR, EV Arntzen, CJ Murray, K McGrath, YJ Bott, and TP Hanrahan. 2008. "Influence of river level on temperature and hydraulic gradients in chum and fall Chinook salmon spawning areas downstream of Bonneville Dam, Columbia River." North American Journal of Fisheries Management 28(1):30-41.
- Fritz BG, and EV Arntzen. 2007. "Effect of Rapidly Changing River Stage on Uranium Flux through the Hyporheic Zone." Ground Water Volume 45(6):753-760.
- Fritz BG, NP Kohn, TJ Gilmore, D McFarland, EV Arntzen, RD Mackley, GW Patton, DP Mendoza, and AL Bunn. 2007. Investigation of the Hyporheic Zone at the 300 Area,Hanford Site . PNNL-16805, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Arntzen EV, DR Geist, JL Panther, and E Dawley. 2007. Total Dissolved Gas Monitoring in Chum Salmon Spawning Gravels Below Bonneville Dam. PNNL-16200, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Arntzen EV, DR Geist, and PE Dresel. 2006. "Effects of Fluctuating River flow on Groundwater/Surface Water Mixing in the Hyporheic Zone of a Regulated, Large Cobble Bed River ." River Research and Applications 22(8):937-946. doi:10.1002/rra.947
- Hanrahan TP, DR Geist, and EV Arntzen. 2005. "Habitat quality of historic Snake River fall Chinook salmon spawning locations and implications for incubation survival: part 1, substrate quality." River Research and Applications 21(5):455-467.
- Hanrahan TP, DR Geist, EV Arntzen, and CS Abernethy. 2004. Effects of Hyporheic Exchange Flows on Egg Pocket Water Temperature in Snake River Fall Chinook Salmon Spawning Areas. PNNL-14850, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Moser DP, JK Fredrickson, DR Geist, EV Arntzen, AD Peacock, SMW Li, CM Spadoni, and JP McKinley. 2003. "Biogeochemical Processes and Microbial Characteristics Across Groundwater - Surface Water Boundaries of the Hanford Reach of the Columbia River." Environmental Science and Technology 37(22):5127-5134.
- Geist DR, TP Hanrahan, EV Arntzen, GA McMichael, CJ Murray, and YJ Chien. 2002. "Physicochemical charateristics of the hyporheic zone affect redd site selection of chum salmon and fall chinook salmon in the Columbia River." North American Journal of Fisheries Management 22(4):1077-1085.
- Baldwin, B.R., Peacock, A.D., Gan, M., Resch, C.T., Arntzen, E.V., Smithgall, A.N., Pfiffner, S., White, D.C., and P.E. Long. 2009. In-Well Sediment Incubators to Evaluate Microbial Community Stability and Dynamics following Bioimmobilization of Uranium. Remediation 19 (4): 73-89.
- Southard, S.L., D.R. Geist, E.V. Arntzen, K.M. Carter, and G.E. Johnson. 2009. Proceedings of the 2008 Workshop on Total Dissolved Gas and Chum Salmon. PNNL-SA-64358. Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, Washington.
- Arntzen, E.V., R.P. Mueller, K.J. Murray, and Y.J. Bott. 2008. Evaluation of salmon spawning below Bonneville Dam, 2006-2007 Annual Report. Project No. 199900301, 60 electronic pages, (BPA Report P107674).
- Arntzen, E.V., R.P. Mueller, C.J. Murray, Y.J. Bott, J.L. Panther, D.R. Geist, and T.P. Hanrahan. 2007. Evaluation of salmon spawning below Bonneville Dam, 2005-2006 Annual Report. Project No. 199900301, 61 electronic pages, (BPA Report DOE/BP-00000652-35).
- Hanrahan, T.P., M.C. Richmond, E.V. Arntzen, A.M. Coleman, K.B. Larson, W.A. Perkins, C.L. Rakowski, and J.D. Tagestad. 2007. Effects of Hydroelectric Dam Operations on the Restoration Potential of Snake River Fall Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) Spawning Habitat. Project No. 2003-038-00 (BPA Report 104037).
- McGrath, K.E., C.W. May, D.R. Geist, E.V. Arntzen, M.C. Richmond, R. Prasad, M.S. Wigmosta. 2007. Grays River watershed and biological assessment. Prepared by Pacific Northwest National Laboratory for the U.S. Department of Energy, Bonneville Power Administration, Portland, OR. (BPA Report DOE/BP-00000652-38).
- Arntzen EV, TP Hanrahan, KE McGrath, CJ Murray, Y-J Chien, and SL Thorsten. 2006. "Summary of Temperature Data Collected to Improve Emergence Timing Estimates for Chum and Fall Chinook Salmon in the Lower Columbia River." Chapter 2 in Evaluation of Salmon Spawning Below the Four Lowermost Columbia River Dams" 2004-2005 Annual Report, eds DR Geist and AJ Currie. DOE/BP-00000652-32, Bonneville Power Administration, Portland, Oregon.
- Arntzen, E., D. Geist, T. Hanrahan, K. McGrath, S. Thorsten. 2005. Summary of Temperature Data Collected to Improve Emergence Timing Estimates for Chum and Fall Chinook Salmon in the Lower Columbia River, 1998-2004 Progress Report, Project No. 199900301, 33 electronic pages, (BPA Report DOE/BP-00000652-27)
- Chamness, M.A., E.V. Arntzen, G.A., McMichael, and P.S. Titzler, P.S. 2001. Washington Phase II Fish Diversion Screen Evaluations in the Yakima River Basin, 2000. Prepared by PNNL for the U.S. Department of Energy Bonneville Power Administration.
- Geist, D.R., T.P. Hanrahan, E.V. Arntzen, G.A. McMichael, C.J. Murray, and Y. Chien. 2001. Physicochemical characteristics of the hyporheic zone affect redd site selection of chum and fall Chinook salmon, Columbia River. 2001 annual report to Bonneville Power Administration, Portland.