Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Mr. Tagestad is a staff scientist in the Ecology Group. His scientific expertise is focused on the providing spatial technology solutions to diverse projects. Specific skills include: image feature extraction, GIS automation, remote sensing vegetation classification, hyperspectral data analysis and field data collection. He recently managed the Pacific Northwest Regional Collaboratory to completion as the deputy program manager; the Collaboratory is a group of regional universities and national laboratories dedicated to facilitating integration of geospatial technologies and data to serve the needs of resource managers and decision makers in the Pacific Northwest. His expertise in landscape ecology solutions are currently being applied on projects with US Department of Defense, Homeland Security, US Fish and Wildlife Service and Department of Energy. Mr. Tagestad is also an adjunct professor at Washington State University, Tri-Cities Campus where he is responsible for developing class materials and teaching “Introduction to GIS”.
- Landscape Ecology
- Remote Sensing
- Vegetation Mapping and Monitoring
- Geospatial decision support systems
Education and Credentials
- M.S., Geography with emphasis in GIS/Remote Sensing, Utah State University. 1999
- B.S., Biology, North Dakota State University, 1990
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Adjunct Professor at Washington State University, Tri-Cities
- Tagestad JD, ML Brooks, VI Cullinan, JL Downs, and R McKinley. 2016. "Precipitation regime classification for the Mojave Desert: Implications for Fire Occurrence." Journal of Arid Environments 124:388-397 . doi:10.1016/j.jaridenv.2015.09.002
- Copping AE, SA Breithaupt, JM Whiting, ME Grear, JD Tagestad, and GA Shelton. 2016. "Likelihood of a Marine Vessel Accident from Wind Energy Development in the Atlantic." Wind Energy 19(9):1557-1566. doi:10.1002/we.1935
- Venteris ER, JD Tagestad, JL Downs, and CJ Murray. 2015. "Detection of Anomalous Crop Condition and Soil Variability Mappping Using a 26 Year Landsat Record and the Palmer Crop Moisture Index." International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 39:160-170. doi:10.1016/j.jag.2015.03.008
- Larson KB, JD Tagestad, CJ Perkins, MR Oster, WM Warwick, and SH Geerlofs. 2015. A Technical and Economic Optimization Approach to Exploring Offshore Renewable Energy Development in Hawaii. PNNL-24639, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Diefenderfer HL, GE Johnson, NK Sather, AM Coleman, KE Buenau, JD Tagestad, Y Ke, E Dawley, and JR Skalski. 2012. Evaluation of Life History Diversity, Habitat Connectivity, and Survival Benefits Associated with Habitat Restoration Actions in the Lower Columbia River and Estuary, Annual Report 2011. PNNL-21202, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Johnson GE, HL Diefenderfer, RM Thom, GC Roegner, BD Ebberts, JR Skalski, AB Borde, E Dawley, AM Coleman, DL Woodruff, SA Breithaupt, A Cameron, C Corbett, EE Donley, DA Jay, Y Ke, K Leffler, C McNeil, C Studebaker, and JD Tagestad. 2012. Evaluation of Cumulative Ecosystem Response to Restoration Projects in the Lower Columbia River and Estuary, 2010. PNNL-20296, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Duberstein CA, JD Tagestad, and KB Larson. 2011. Assessment of Technologies Used to Characterize Wildlife Populations in the Offshore Environment. PNNL-20984, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Roesijadi G, AM Coleman, C Judd, FB Van Cleve, RM Thom, KE Buenau, JD Tagestad, MS Wigmosta, and JA Ward. 2011. Macroalgae Analysis A National GIS-based Analysis of Macroalgae Production Potential Summary Report and Project Plan . PNNL-21087, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Brown RS, CR Duguay, RP Mueller, L Moulton, PJ Doucette, and JD Tagestad. 2010. "Use of Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) to Identify and Characterize Overwintering Areas of Fish in Ice-Covered Arctic RIvers: A Demonstration with Broad Whitefish and their Habitats in the Sagavanirktok River, Alaska." Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 139:1711-1722.
- Tagestad JD. 2010. Analysis and Mapping of Vegetation and Habitat for the Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge. PNNL-19437, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Tagestad JD. 2010. Analysis and Mapping of Vegetation and Habitat for the Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge. PNNL-19438, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Matzner S, AR Maxwell, JR Myers, KA Caviggia, JL Elster, MG Foley, ME Jones, GL Ogden, EL Sorensen, LM Zurk, JD Tagestad, AJ Stephan, ME Peterson, and DJ Bradley. 2010. "Small Vessel Contribution to Underwater Noise." In Oceans 2010 MTS/IEEE Seattle. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/OCEANS.2010.5663818
- Becker JM, JD Tagestad, CA Duberstein, and JL Downs. 2009. Sage-Grouse and Wind Energy: Biology, Habits, and Potential Effects from Development. PNNL-18567, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Wigmosta MS, LJ Lane, JD Tagestad, and AM Coleman. 2009. "Hydrologic and Erosion Models To Assess Land Use and Management Practices Affecting Soil Erosion." Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 14(1):27-41.
- Tagestad JD, J Bolte, M Guzy, DL Woodruff, K Humes, V Walden, MS Wigmosta, N Glenn, D Ames, R Rope, D Martin, and S Sandgathe. 2008. PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGIONAL COLLABORATORY ANNUAL REPORT FOR SYNERGY VII (2007). PNNL-17271, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Coleman AM, MS Wigmosta, LJ Lane, JD Tagestad, and D Roberts. 2008. "A GIS-based Adaptive Management Decision Support System to Develop a Multi-Objective Framework: A case study utilizing GIS technologies and physically-based models to archieve improved decision making for site management." Journal of Map & Geography Libraries 4(2):269 - 284 .
- Tagestad JD, and JL Downs. 2007. Landscape Measures of Rangeland Condition in the BLM Owyhee Pilot Project: Shrub Canopy Mapping, Vegetation Classification, and Detection of Anomalous Land Areas . PNNL-17209, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Petrie GM, JD Tagestad, KL Steinmaus, MS Wigmosta, and CH Read. 2001. "Multidata analysis for automatic river extraction." In International Symposium on Remote Sensing and Hydrology, vol. 267, ed. Owe, M., pp. 427-432. IAHS , Wallingford, Oxfordshire.